The National Archives of Singapore (NAS) is the official custodian of Singapore’s collective memory. Ranging from government files, private memoirs, speeches and press releases, historical maps and photographs to oral history interviews and audio-visual materials, the NAS is responsible for the collection, preservation and management of Singapore’s public and private archival records.
To allow users easy access to the archival holdings, Archives Online is designed to allow users to seamlessly search information across NAS’ various independent databases and view selected photographs, maps and plans, listen to oral history interview samplers and watch snippets of audio-visual recordings, round the clock.
Archives Online provides the following information and services:
- Inventory listings of all media records
- Administrative history and brief description of government agencies’ function
(This helps researchers identify relevant records by understanding the way records are created, such as the agency’s mandate and functions.)
- Viewing of selected digitised records, such as photographs, posters, speeches and cartographic records
- Listening to snippets of audio-visual recordings
- Information on some of the exhibitions by NAS